Thursday, August 09, 2007

Wristcutters and the Criminal Mind of Mr. White is now paid a visit by Bobby Fischer's dad.

After clearing the space between my ears late last night, I stayed up late watching a gem of a film entitled Wristcutters: A Love Story (see clever artwork below). In my ongoing pursuit of borrowing films from various companies before they're released, I must admit my kleptomaniac guilt on this one. I had watched the film a while ago but decided to give it another look. For everyone else, the movie opens nationwide sometime this October. Wristcutters doesn't glorify the taking of one's life, but merely attempts a world of the hereafter with the same problems we face day in and day out. Sossamon and Fugit provide a textured innocence throughout as Shannyn's character explains...Me being here is an accident. I'm not gonna spill the goods on this film, but mark my words, it's destined to become the Reality Bites of this year.

A novel I am a fan of, Haunted by Chuck Palahniak, spins countless tales that are interwoven. One in particular deals with teen suicides. Sad story. The statistics don't lie. But the parents do...According to national statistics, teens that commit suicide by 'hanging'...something like 65% of them are actually performing self asphyxiation while in the act of ummm...and the parents are ashamed. Mind blowing, isn't it?

In a land of reaction to actions, I am stuck in this mindset today. Reading the trades headline of Harvey Keitel aka Mr. White, stepping into a starring role on CBS' Criminal Minds, I began to think of Mr. Patankin and what led him to react so harshly to the hit show and his abrupt departure. Well, there is always potential for a sequel to Alien Nation.

But alas, now it's Mr. Mantegna. How did Joe steal the role from Mr. White?

One person's loss is another's gain. Choices is the theme today. Where do we go from here?

1 comment:

Sheae said...

What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.~
Verbal Quotes from the movie Ususal Suspects