Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Biggest Loser

Come on, Jack, keep it together...

Andrea screamed this morning in the grueling class as she ripped us to shreds. Good times. My focus was off. I'll be the first to admit. But it was like old home week because a blast from my past was in there. Jillian Michaels, aka - the whoop ass.

In the summer of 2002, when I was homeless, couch hopping and attending the AFI, my friend & actress called me and said she was doing an infomercial and they needed some regular people. Apparently, the company had stacked the deck with actors & models and then me. The preliminary screen was daunting. I met with Jackie Warner of Bravo's Workout and Jillian who would later be the head trainer on NBC's The Biggest Loser. Truth be told, they intimidated the shit out of me. Threatening that if we weren't making weight cuts, we'd get booted.

Yikes!

And we commenced at the beginning of June that year. Pan Pacific Park just off of Beverly Blvd. I have to say it was invigorating. Three nights a week of wind sprints across the field, weight training and aerobic crap.

Those fucking lunges killed me. Soon after the rush set in. I was hooked. Running daily, hitting the gym followed by meets with the terrible two. It was brutal. I don't know how many times I vomited during the training. But it was good.

Within a few months, I was a new man. Then I broke my ankle while out running, trying to clear my head...clutz! I continued to train. I attended spin class, propped my cast and leg on the handle bars and spun my heart out.

2002 was my favorite summer out here. Seeing Jill this morn brought back a lot of great memories.

The days are getting shorter. Appreciate them all.

Peace

No comments: