Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A.i. 2: Artificial Ineptitude & the art of film appreciation

Some days I absolutely love this town. With almost a hundred grand sunk in education and almost every day I deal with the lowest common denominator within the industry. A majority of people try their very hardest, but then there's the inept group struggling to get ahead.

Good and bad, it comes down to the process dangling at the ropes end. For that I am grateful and can travel to my sanctuary, mentally check out and do that thing I do at the pc.

The concept of consulting on projects boggles my mind. I was in a meeting a few weeks ago and this chick, a so-called producer, was sitting in with said party with me. We were discussing a past project that he did and the little producer that could looks up from her mac--

Oh, you worked on that? Like as a production assistant?

The sincerity on her face made me laugh, cry and want to rip it off for the sheer audacity of her comment.

Actually, I wrote, produced and directed the film... my guest replied. By the way, the film was a Marvel film released in the spring of 2004. Do some digging...

More bewilderment filled the inept producer. I looked at my guest and apologised for the lack of knowledge and stupidity for the 'producer's' comment. Keep in mind that I had forwarded links of the guests to the company and supplied them with their bios. Their credits have amassed 2 billion dollars in worldwide revenue for their respective films.

Aye-yi-yi. It amazes me the lack of education, respect and concern in this land of tarnished tinsel. Patience is a virtue, but puhleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase, enough is more than enough.

There's an interesting shift in Hollywood right now. Creatively, not so much due to the A.D.D. generation of executives, but it's a loosening of the reigns. We should all pray for the future of film because the true genius of this town is having one helluva time in comparison to the shit being jammed down our throats.

Underdog people. Walt Disney made a film entitled Underdog. Lord have mercy.

No comments: