Friday, August 10, 2007

Blurred Reality & Myspace

Dreaming of my pending initiation into reality television, I have found myself more in tune with life itself. This morning before my ass whipping with the Tif, I stumbled upon an article in a magazine about a reality star's recent suicide. I never saw the show which aired in June on CBS to low ratings and subsequently cancelled. This evening I did a google search and found some tragic things about the past life of an extremely strong girl named Cheryl K. and her plight. She lost the love of her life to suicide back in June and struggled on. After posting random myspace messages around, she left us.

In this day and age of technology yet more disconnection from reality, a digital imprint seems to be the way of the future. Morbid. Haunting and deeply affecting resonance like this is everywhere.

Like this. The blog. Jack on a Blog. I have absolutely no idea who's reading this, if anyone is beyond my own eyes. Does it matter? I guess in foresight it does. Everyone remembers what they were doing when JFK was assassinated (well not me, but my parents), yet, no one knows what he was thinking before he left us.

Digital resonance. We all have a paper trail now. A receipt, movie ticket stub, a barista that serves us coffee...these are things of the past. Now it's about this. Our thoughts, words, actions, and posts. Creepy if you think about it. But it is a way for us to leave an imprint.

Imprint. Such an interesting word to me. We're but a blip on the evolutionary radar of this world. Where do we stand as individuals? Striving. For what? Whom? Ourselves and to better each and everyone of us? That's about as hard as dealing with Global Warming. But is it really?

Change is good. Patterns are comfortable but change instigates life. Life begins to complement us. Be it a hair color that changes your personality a little (sorry T, had to throw in your thought of blonde to brunette the other day) or to a change in lifestyle and relationships.

All I can say is we should all make tomorrow different and forget about five minutes ago.

Peace.

No comments: