Monday, July 23, 2007

Dr. Steve-O, Funny's cousin - Unfunny & the legendary Laszlo Kovacs

Biggest Fears:

Sharks
Clowns
Skydiving

And I was truthfully honest when asked the question of what mine were. I should've known better.

Cruising down Sunset Blvd. today the cell rings and the producers of Dr. Steve-O have set their sights on me for their new series. The synopsis is simple:

From the creative minds of The Simple Life, The Real World and the dementia of Steve-O from Jackass comes DR. STEVE-O. Enough said I think. Yours truly plays himself. We all have to begin somewhere. I'm taking this as a nod from one of my AFI classmates, Josh Herman who landed a gig on Beauty & the Geek. Josh ended up winning the contest and landing a two picture deal.

Reality; it could be a good thing. My contract is an uberdense 37 pages. My favorite passage was about the perilous activities and being thrown in front of aggressive animals. I won't be writing about this anymore after today but I'll keep you posted after the shoots.

I wandered out to the drive-in last eve to see a double feature. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry and Evan Almighty. Chuck was beyond disappointing. Weathered and dated material that would've suited the likes of Lemmon and Mathau back in the sixties. The writing was beyond inept and I'm still scratching my head as to where the 85 million dollar production budget went? Evan seemed to be a better film, but alas Ms. Wanda Sykes annoys the shit out of me. Just like she bugs Bill Cosby. Unfortunately, I had to leave before the film was over, but from the bit I saw, it's worth a look. And Tom Hanks produced it...odd, since he didn't produce the first. Guess it's all about Playtone being backed by Christian investors...hmmmm?

Keeping this brief today, I was sad to hear about Mr. Laszlo Kovacs, cinematographer extraordinaire! From Five Easy Pieces to Ghostbusters to uggghhh Miss Congeniality his accomplishments were great. I first gained attention to Laszlo back in 2002 when I was granted a cozy office up at Universal Pictures thanks to my bud Jim. I was nibbling on some potato leek soup one day and the chef came in with her friend and introduced us. We talked about life and eventually film when she said that I should meet her husband. After telling me she was married to Laszlo, I rewatched a few of his films. I suggested that he came to the AFI to give a lecture, but it never came together. But the intent was there.

Your family's in my prayers. Paint the heavens a beautiful picture.

No comments: