Friday, March 31, 2006

what is an age?

Today I get a random phone call from a friend.

"Hey, Jack...it's Tony." said voice said.

Pondering for a moment, I vaguely remember a Tony from high school.

"What's up?"

"I need your help tonight. You down?"

Friday evening in Los Angeles, of course nothing's happening.

"Sure. What are we doing?"

"We're gonna go beat the shit out of this high school kid that told me to fuck off."

At this point, I should inform you that I am 28. Class of 1996. And Tony is class of 1995.

"Let me get this straight...you want to beat the shit out of a high school kid that told you to 'fuck off'?"

"That's the plan. You up for this? We can wait outside of the Wendy's that he works at and take care of a little some somethin' of business."

After careful consideration...

"Tony, you do realize that we can go to jail."

"What-"

"We're grownups. And I live in Hollywood. Not Minnesota."

An intriguing long pause...

"Man, I thought this 818 number was like a 1-800 cell number. Who do you know that's in town that may help me?"

"My best friend...Andy. Call him."

I hung up soon after and really thought about this verbal exchange. Is it possible that some people stay trapped in a moment and never step beyond it?

No comments: